So this is what I've been all day, removing noise from a recently digitalized tape collection that goes back nearly three decades.
The screenshot shows Audacity running a Noise Removal operation on an audio file that contains a full side of a cassette tape - about 30 minutes of audio (encoded in 128 kbps MP3, CBR).
The Philips AZ1856 CD Soundmachine was a good purchase. We've been using that to rip the tapes to digital.
We've ripped about 90 tapes and I've got to take all these mp3 files (about 2 GB total), clean them up,
Will be posting with screenshots to convey a fair idea of what goes into getting this done.
Have finished with
I've gone from Kubuntu to Ubuntu [notice the changes in the window styles between the one above and the one alongside] and still, I've managed to finish only 9 tapes.
Dad sat with me and gained a real understanding of how delicate and annoyingly iffy this work is.
He said he understood. :-)